Barton S. Balis
Barton S. Balis has practiced law in Boulder, CO for 40 years. He concentrates his practice on the area of bankruptcy, working with consumer and small business debtors as well as creditors. Mr. Balis was the founding member of the Boulder County Bar Association Bankruptcy Committee and has served as its chairman for many years. He recently received the prestigious Ron Porter Award of Merit for outstanding achievement and dedication to the legal profession, awarded to him by the Boulder County Bar Association. He is admitted to practice in the state courts of Colorado and the Bankruptcy and U.S. District Courts of Colorado.
Mr. Balis has frequently lectured across the state to attorneys, judges and other legal professionals on complex issues of bankruptcy law. He has served as the State Chairman for the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys. He was the founding member of the Boulder County Bankruptcy Law sub-committee and has served as the chairperson numerous times, as well as the sub-committee of Domestic Relations in prior years. He is also involved in the community as a member of several local organizations, including having served as Chairman of the Board of the Boulder Downtown Management Commission.
Mr. Balis earned his Juris Doctor from Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey School of Law in Newark in 1970. A native of Newark, New Jersey, he also holds a Bachelor's degree in psychology, which he earned with honors, from the University of Wisconsin in 1967.
Areas of Practice
- Bankruptcy Law
- Consumers and Small Businesses
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey School of Law - Newark, Newark, New Jersey
- Juris Doctor (Cum Laude) - 1970
- University of Wisconsin
- Bachelor's Degree - 1967
- Honors: With Honors
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Boulder legal community, Member
- Boulder County Bar Association, Chairman of the Boards, Bankruptcy Committee
- Boulder Downtown Management Commission, Committee Chair, 1993 - 1997
- Boulder Downtown Management Commission, Chairman of Board
- Boulder County Bar Association, Chairman of the Boards, Domestic Relations Committee